Sunday, February 12, 2012

Racist Ravings Of A Formerly Gentle Dude

I Don't Like That Look On Your Face

The first light of morning is coming through the curtains when the deafening noise of the amplified prayers finally stops. Last night, around sunset, the neighbors pushed big speakers into the street. Then they blared loud prayers all night long. The sound is bouncing of the walls of my room. Earplugs jammed in, my head under a pillow I feel like a tortured prisoner in Guantanamo Bay. This was my first night in Pushkar.

It's is supposed to be a quiet, mystic town at a lake. A 'hippie hang-out' as Lonely Planet describes it. No idea what kind of dope they got hold of but, please, get me some. All I see are touts, honking motorbikes, loud prayers and a filthy pool surrounded by cemented steps. Just another swarm, as far as I can see. Only in India they can fuck up a beautiful, natural surrounding this bad. This could be a tranquil oasis in the desert if no one had thought to put the adjective 'holy' in front of 'lake'.

This country takes religion way too serious. No room for humor whatsoever. Can't eat meat here, take of your shoes there, no smoking in this area, no alcohol in that town, etc. A million rules and regulations regarding religion but no respect for other people. They take better care of their cows then of their personal hygiene. India's rude and unfriendly. Never a 'thank you' or 'please'. Always ready to push and invade my personal space.

But, hey, I'm just a shy, little man in a nation of over a billion; so what do I know? One week in India has clearly turned me from an open-minded, peaceful, leftie kind of guy into an angry, raving racist. I'm no longer communicating, beyond the strict necessities, with anyone with a brown skin tone and/or facial hair. When they keep pushing I won't hesitate to deliver an F-bomb infused tirade.

They say India will change you in ways you never thought possible.
I have to agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment